Power troubles during severe storms as with all electrical systems happen with electrical Systems. Solar Panels won’t harvest energy during a storm in a Solar System. The difference is that the off-grid Solar Panels System used in Camping RV and Campers have stored energy in Battery Banks that will deliver for a time when the Panels won’t be charging like at night or a storm. Once that battery energy gets low a generator can take over as the backup to charge the batteries or power the essential devices you use. What are the Best Portable Backup Generators?
- Backup Generators can be Stationary
- Can be portable
- Can Charge Solar Battery Banks
- Can be Emergency/Standby
- Run-on diesel, propane, gas, or Battery
- Used in natural disasters/Storms
- A good Solar Generator can power light-duty devices or big essential items like a refrigerator.
- Cost approx $1.00 per watt
Should you buy a Solar generator or a Gas-powered Generator? Again folks have different needs and want that just differ from other folks. I just have no need for a Hair Dryer for a few different reasons than my wife who I completely understand can’t live without one personal preference is freedom and the one thing we all share is spending our time in outdoors. So sizing your Solar System and your Generator is a big deal and can make your life “into the Big Wide Open” as Tom Petty used to say a much better experience
Solar Generator Kit
The most important part of using a Generator for emergency preparedness is knowing what devices have the most priority that you will need when the juice goes out. You will have to figure out those appliances that are a must and know what kind of power you’ll need to energize them and for how long.
Generators are sold by power output, as measured in watts. The amount of power they deliver determines how many lights and appliances you can run at once, the quality and consistency of that power determines how well they’ll run. In an off-grid setting and in an emergency you will use less than a normal size home but there are still appliances that are more necessary than others. They could power medical devices or steaks in the freezers that will keep meat for long lengths of time
Solar panel kits are portable solar energy systems that haven’t been set up completely yet. They usually come with all of the necessary components for a home solar panel installation, including panels, inverters, wiring, mounting hardware, and sometimes even the proper permitting and engineering documents to help you finish the installation.
In most situations, you won’t be trying to power up a whole house or RV but instead a location in the home where you plan as making a central location. My family was involved in an Emergency situation, a Hurricane where we lost most of our home. After we were evacuated and were given permission to be able to come back we made the emergency room the one with a fireplace a central location and used a gas fuel generator which was located on the patio outside. That was 10 years ago and the new Gas and Solar Generators have all the components that were separated together in a wired-in unit.
These days Solar Generator Kits include everything you need to harvest the Sun’s energy and then store it for later use Battery banks convert that energy to DC/AC and use it for the most important devices that you will need until the Emergency situation is resolved.
Most Solar Generators use one or more solar panels to generate DC electrical power but they can be charged by other sources and work just as well. The DC electricity is then converted to AC electricity with an AC power inverter. With a Portable Solar Generator, or Portable Power Station the equipment that is needed to do this is all included inside the Portable Generator making them a very valuable tool for Camping outdoors Off-Grid or as an Emergency Preparedness device.
Emergencies can come anywhere not only living in the suburbs but living in an apartment in the city. These places are the best options for Solar generator kits, where running a gasoline generator would just be impossible to deal with in case of an emergency. So the Solar Generator Kit will contain Solar Panels rated from small to large to charge the Solar Generator kit. This would be perfect inside an Apartment where you could never run a Fuel Generator.
Components of a Solar Power System
- Solar Panel-A photovoltaic solar power system (or ‘PV System’) includes solar panels as the main component that collects energy
- Solar Controllers– A Solar Controller is located between the Solar Panel and the Batteries. They are not used Grid type systems they don’t have batteries to charge. Their primary role is to manage to charge the Battery Bank. It prevents it from overcharging and in most cases control the rate that the battery charges. Because electricity flows from high voltage to low voltage, the Controller will keep the voltage flowing one way from the solar panel into the Battery Bank.
- Inverter-convert direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity. Because of this, unless your solar system runs DC only, an inverter is usually a central component in both off-grid and grid-tie solar systems.
- Solar Batteries-are really deep cycle batteries that provide energy storage for solar, wind, and other renewable energy systems. Different from a car battery, a deep cycle battery is designed to handle prolonged, repeated, and deep discharges which are typical in renewable energy systems that are off-grid (disconnected from the electric utility company) There are several types of Batteries used in Solar systems the most powerful being-Lithium-Sealed AGM Batteries and last Flooded Lead Acid
- Cables and Connectors that will wear during the lifetime of your Solar System
- Except for the Solar Panels the Controllers, Inverters, and other components are included all together in the Solar Portable Generator.
Portable Emergency Generators
Natural or Manmade Disasters can happen at any time and you need to be prepared with Portable Emergency Generators. Whether it’s a massive storm, natural disaster, or malfunctioning Solar equipment, leaving you vulnerable. New Quiet Solar Generators don’t emit noxious fumes like gas-powered generators and can power your home for as long as needed.
A generator set normally consists of an engine and a generator that are mounted together as a single unit. In certain applications, a generator set may include other components, such as a fuel container, voltage regulator, or inverter.
There are many things that can happen while you are out in the woods. To be backed up by a reliable 1000 or even 10,000 Watt Generator connected to your 10,000 Watt Solar System will make your sleep easier. The primary function of the set is for the electrical generator to convert mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy.
Emergency Generator sets can run on a variety of fuel sources and are often used in locations where electrical power isn’t available or has been interrupted. They can range in size from small, hand-operated units to larger sets that are installed in vehicles, on trailers, or even in apartment buildings.
Whether they are run by Solar or Gas or Both. In emergency situations, solar-powered generators can be a lifesaver. The best Solar Generator will be the one that can energize your most needed devices and appliances and power and recharge your RV’s Battery Bank the fastest getting you back onto your Solar System. Maybe your Off-Grid Cabin. Inside or Outside Emergency power might be needed.
For many years the gasoline Generator could fill that void they could and still be bought at reasonable prices.be bought at a reasonable price. Homesteaders with big Solar Systems that could power a log cabin or 40-foot RV still depend on Gas generators when their Solar Systems go down or for adding even more power for an air conditioner or bigger appliances.
The primary benefit of using a generator over a solar with storage combination is the cost and the number of watts and that is the case still today. There are many different models and brands for you to pick from. Many of these fuel generators can be purchased at your local hardware store or Home Improvement Center.
One of the most popular for RV’rs is the Honda Power Equipment sets a new standard in portable power with the introduction of an all-new EU2200i inverter generator. Part of Honda Power Equipment’s Super Quiet Series of generators, the new EU2200i lineup is the perfect portable generator for work, home, or play. The secret of Honda’s successful technology is there is Quiet Technology measured at 48 to 52 decibels comparable to a human conversation.
- 10,000-watt peak power-8000 watts rated power.
- Can last the night at 9 hours at a half load that will take you through the night
- The Honda Generators are lightweight and Built-in with a 30 Amp outlet
- Add a second EU2200i for additional power. Two identical models can be paralleled with an optional cable or cord for up to 4400 watts of power, or time-consuming applications.
- Make sure your Fuel Generator contains an Inverter
- They will run for hours on one tank of gas
The all-new Honda EU2200i inverter Generator offers tremendous applications and will operate more than what you’ll need for a camping trip in the mountains.
Another is Generator that is powerful enough to light up your off-grid log cabin RV or your home with All Power America APGG10000, 10000W Watt Generator with Electric Start, Portable Gas Generator for Home Use Emergency Power Backup, RV Standby, Storm Hurricane Damage Restoration Power Backup, EPA Certified
One of the biggest downsides to using a generator is that you’re dependent on outside fuel sources. If you have been in an emergency situation then you know that gas in particular especially has the potential to run out of fuel during, before, or after a natural disaster or can become costly. Portable Generators are dependent on Gas and other petroleum products like oil mixtures especially running straight. They are heavy over 200 lbs. Some twice that weight.
Generators also create fumes that are not good to breathe. They are loud, though the new ones here have gotten much better. And a lot of Boonedockers prefer them as the Go to Emergency Generator.
This means they need to be placed outside in a well-ventilated area, which could create challenges when weather conditions are poor. They usually, at least in my case during Hurricane Sandy run out of inventory or double the price in the Home Improvement stores.
Portable Power Station Generator
Should you buy a Portable Power Station Generator? Considered a few that are proven like the Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 1000, 1002Wh Solar Generator (Solar Panel Optional) with 3x110V/1000W AC Outlets, Solar Mobile Lithium Battery Pack for Outdoor RV/Van Camping, Emergency Generator. If you are indoors or in an emergency situation and have to operate the Portable Generator indoors or maybe in an apartment because of a power outage then take a look at the Power Station.
When your Solar System goes down or if you need portable energy for outdoor recreation, then a Portable Power Station Generator might be something for RVer’s or campers. Power in a box that is ready to go. Sourced by AC outlets or Solar Panel and DC Batteries, it’s versatile and independent clean power that will get you through a day at the beach or supply your RV or Campsite with no emissions like a fuel generator will emit. Definitely Cool!
Bluett EB240 2400Wh/1000W Portable Power Station is Large enough to power your home circuits, yet portable enough to take with you on-the-go. The Bluetti EB240 is a necessity when it comes to serious energy storage.
When shopping for a Solar Generator look for:
- Maximum Watts
- Battery Capacity – Battery storage capacity is an important thing to look for when determining the usability of a solar generator. Higher capacity means that your generator will keep your devices running for a longer period before it needs to be eventually recharged. Be certain to go for the highest possible battery capacity for your budget.
- Inverter Rating – If your solar generator has a low inverter rating, you might not be able to use high-wattage devices and appliances. Be sure to get a generator with an inverter rating that corresponds with the wattage of items you’re planning to power with the generator.
- Portability –Look for a solar generator that is easy to carry around. If you’re going for a backup solar generator, it’s advisable to choose one that has wheels and extended handles to enhance portability.
A Solar Power Generator is basically a Battery or Power Source that can be used for energizing devices or appliances in an isolated area where you are off Grid.
- They are clean
- Contain an Inverter
- Contain a Lithium Battery
- Pure Sine Wave Energy
Again folks have different needs and want that just differ from other folks. I just have no need for a Hair Dryer for a few different reasons than my wife who I completely understand can’t live without one personal preference freedom and the one thing we all share is spending our time outdoors.
If you are buying a Generator for Camping or an Off-Grid Solar System then you need an Inverter on the Generator. Even if they produce a lot of power without Inverters, they are made for Construction sites. The Solar type Generators also produce clean Sine Wave Energy that is safe for all the small portable electronic devices that you take on your family’s camping trips. A typical portable backup power unit can power lights and a few essential items in the home, such as the refrigerator and lights in an RV or Camper.
*Should you buy a Gas generator Consider higher than 2000 Watt Generators because they just won’t have the push to crank that hairdryer or maybe the microwave. You can do what I mentioned earlier and buy 2-2000 watt generators and link them together with what’s called a Parrel Cable which has its own ports found at the front of the Generator.
Connecting the cable to both Generators will double the power. That will give you 4,000 Watts total and that my friend will even run the air conditioner. So size if you want to parrel the Generators you need to make sure they both are compatible and both have Inverters. You’ll be good to go.
So sizing your Solar System and your Generator is a big deal and can make your life “into the Big Wide Open” as Tom Petty used to say, as comfortable and dependable both at the same time. Whether Fuel or Solar or both Emergency Generators will keep you outdoors for longer periods of time.
Jim Galloway Author Editor
WiseGeek-What is a Backup Generator?
Residential Solar Systems-How off-grid solar systems work